Friday, September 11, 2009

NeedtoBreathe: The Outsiders



Every so often a new and upcoming artist begins to rise from the depths bringing a unique new sound to the table. Every so often this new artist has depth do their music that hasnt been seen within the music seen for some time, and every so often this artist has multiple talents that makes their sound unique. Every so often, NeedtoBreathe is recognized for the brilliance that they are.
NeedtoBreathe may be the most talented group out their right now. They sound a lot like Kings of Leon, but combine more of a southern rock and gospel feel to their music. Furthermore, they are amazing live, which as far as SNL is concenred, Kings of Leon simply was good live at all. NeedtoBreathe has three cds out, and as far as I can tell, each project has built on the previous, and their newest, the Outsiders, is no different. Where their last cd was something to talk about, the Outsiders is something to tell the ends of the earth about.
The cd starts out with the title track which is some sort of a combination of southern country which leads into gospel and rock. The simplicity of this track brings a new glimpse of something beautiful and amazing. Then the lead singer announces "We are the Outsiders!" And the cd gets going.
From here, I can not count the number of tracks that are equally brilliant. The second track, Valley of Tommorrow, is an amazing ballad contemplating life and how we interact with our everyday experiences. The combined notes of hard guitar, acoustics, and the power of the leads voice is impressive. The lyrics are deep and stirring, something NeedtoBreathe has become known for.
I will now try to point out highlights, but dont be fooled, this cd needs more contemplative listening to each track. Each one giving life to the other, and the music flows like some sort of river. Through Smoke, Lay 'Em Down, Stones under rushing water, the Garden, and Something Beautiful each are unique and bring different notes to the cd. They talk about real life, real faith, all the while holding true to their Christian upbringings.
The other track that stands out on this cd is These Hard Times. In a economy where faith is seemingly all we can hold on to and in an American culture where money defines a generation, this song brings forth the gospel. "Give me an answer, give me a way, give me the faith to believe in these hard times." One lyric in which I just love is the following: "Show me something gorgeous, show me till my eyes get tired", further "Show me how to move when I cant feel that Your around". Thank you Needtobreathe, I love these lyrics, they are deep, they are filling, and they are meant to resonate with the soul.

I highly recommend this group. Even if you just give them a try and only appreciate a few of the songs, that is enough. These guys are good, and I hope they are around for a good while.

Overall: A

No comments: