
Funny story as to how I came across these guys in the begginning. I actually bought there first cd and put in the player. I remember thinking this is crazy, and not liking it that much. Now, looking back, I wonder what I was thinking, cause these guys are good. Really good.
As for Cities, I believe this cd is a defining project for this group. Although their previous one (never take friendship personal) was good, it did not have any defining moments. For the most part it was yet another up beat Switchfoot/Relient K sound to it. But one could tell that the lead singer had some talent. In this cd, the lead singer comes of age in writing lyrics that define who Anberlin is. The lyrics have always been strong, constantly dealing with realities found in this world in relation to Grace and Love. Combine these types of lyrics with defining background guitar rifts and drums with the occasional acoustic addition, and you will find Cities.
Paticular songs of note on this cd are probably The Unwinding Cable Car, Dismantle Repair, and (*Fin). Besides these songs you will find the cd to be a closer image of the previous, but when these songs are included it takes the artists to a new plane. These songs combine acoustic with the lead singers brilliant vocals. They deal with anything from breaking down, understanding God's grace, and simply coming to understand life. And they do so with a realistic image of what it means to be human.
By the end of Fin I was in awe and wonder of what this group is becoming. They are definately not a group that will slow down having endured the hardships of being a rock band and come out the other side the better for it. I believe that with better promotion and the continued desire to tour these guys will become better known. If you come across this cd and enjoy it, I recommend the follow up called Lost Songs, but this is for the most part nothing new, I had heard all but one song. They are simply an all iclusive look at Anberlin.
For now, I am thoroughly interested in Anberlin. But if you havent given them a try, take a chance; you may just find a gem.
Overall: A
Definately recommend
No comments:
Post a Comment