
As a person who has followed this band pretty intentally, I was very much disapointed with this project. Don't get me wrong though, it is a good project, it simply isnt Seventh Day at the core.
Before I go on any rant though, I want people to understand the integrity of the muscians involved in Seventh Day Slumber. The lead singer is a recovering drug addict who came to Christ in the midst of his addictions. His story of redemption will bring the strongest person to tears. He can relate to many people who are struggeling with addictions and growing up in difficult situations. When I saw these guys live I realized just how genuine they are, so for every lyric that talks about change, redemption, and finally understanding love have more meaning for this band then those who havent ever experienced what it truly means to lose everything.
I am listening to the cd as I am writing this down. My biggest frustration with Seventh Day Slumber is how refined they have become. I say this because the first cd, especailly tracks like I know and My struggle are simply the lead singer laying down his struggles in a hard frustrated tone. As each cd has come and gone this has left the overall feel of the band and they are more and more becoming just another Christian Rock band, not having anything to distinguish them from the rest of the crowd.
The tracks that stand out on this particular cd are Always and Breaking Away. Although these songs are not unique, they are the strongest lyrics and combine both the integrity of the artists and their musical ability. Although On My way Home and Broken Buildings are solid tracks they seem to just be missing the mark. I feel like Seventh Day in their live shows want to define themselves as a hard core band, but their music is beginning to relate more to the alternative scene then the hard rock one.
Seventh Day Slumber will always be defined in my mind by their first project. Without going back to the garage and just letting the lyrics hit the hard guitar and drums; I dont think they will ever truly get back to their roots. I did appreciate them rereleasing Picking up the Pieces, but a lot of their music since has ultimately been disapointing. Here is to them getting a label that supports their rough edge, and getting away from pleasing the Christian crowd.
Overall: C+
Recommended: Yes, but not for the hard core fans of ruggid rock.
No comments:
Post a Comment