I must say that this cd has been out for a while and I continued to ignore it. Only after hearing a second single on the radio that took my breath away did I finally break down and spend the money on it. What I found was something unexpected and different. What bothers me most about the Christian music industry and music in general is the ability to control what singles you hear. In Needtobreathe case, it may turn more people away from them then attract them. Signature of the Divine is a solid song, no questions asked. But it is based on a message and a safeness that isnt in fact safe. The song is repetitive and almost irritating at times when it is played over and over and over on Christian music stations. But, even if the cd is out, that is all they legally can play because of how the single is released to radio stations. Unfortunately, for Needtobreathe, this was a cruel trick for anyone who is out there listening to the radio stations because their cd has so much more to offer.
The cd starts off with Restless which has an awesome sort of southern dance beat that starts it out leading it into piano. As the lead singer starts to sing you realize just how much this group has to offer to the Christian music industry. One thing that music lacks in many areas, especially those artists you find on MTV, is layers of music. In other words, true talent. Most artists will be given a back beat that can be mixed with ease and then the most of their money is spent on image. Needtobreathe actually brings talent to the floor. Their layers of music is one that the listener can tell that the band in all is very talented. Makes you a bit restless, if you know what I mean.
The cd has many noteable tracks, but due to time and the fact that I only purchased this cd, I will only take note on a few tracks. The best tracks on the cd are Return, Streets of Gold, and More Time. I am listening to the latter right now and it makes me want to weep. Any relationship that has endured the hardships of financial difficulty or simply trying to better understand their own, this song captures it all. In my first year of marriage we struggled in our jobs trying to make things the best they can. Just a few more months, just a little more trying to get to the American dream. We can make if we try, the music says, just a little more time. But the reality is no amount of time will fix the lacking in your heart. Only the love of our Lord. The song has a truly interesting interval in it with Bango and really shows the bands southern rock and gospel roots. The first two songs are both solid, the first talking about returning to God, and the second talking about going to Heaven: Im willing to let you go, Someday we will walk upon streets of gold.
These songs, however good they do make the cd, can not compare to the best song far and above the rest called Washed by the Water. You really have to listen to it to realize that yes, these white boys are laying down some serious soul. Very few artists can accomplish this, but Washed by the Water helps anyone in ministry will be crucified in many ways. We are always questioned for what we did and didnt do, but no matter what, we are not judged by what we do in this world but whether we knew Jesus and Jesus acknowledges our faith. No matter what though, even if everything falls around you and your plains of darkness take you far into the night, know that Jesus died so that we might have life. We are washed by the water and justified by God's grace through Jesus Christ.
Overall: A
If you miss this cd, you will miss one that ought to have more recognition than it is currently getting. It will take you away from the normal, and lead you into greatness.
Author's Note:
The past few months have been increasingly frustrating. I have entered and gone through a plain that I will never truly understand. Having lost two family members in the past year I have begin to understand the importance of Grace in our lives. Even more so than I did when I was first saved. Regardless, I still walk through the valley of the shadow. In this shadow my ministry struggles and our decision making is blurred by our own wants. God takes a hold of my life just like he does for anyone to truly show them the path less traveled. Needtobreathe's lyrics really helped me see this and is continueing my own journey.
For anyone who is in the valley of the shadow, please know that along with Christ we were crucified so that we might not suffer what he suffered, but when Christ raised from the dead we would experience eternity with our Lord. No matter what your circumstances, their is hope for the suffering, love for the hurting, and a water of life to lead you into the very Glory of God. Keep walking, walk on, know that you are loved, and forever more washed by the water.
No comments:
Post a Comment